Sep 21, 2004

Our Tastes-- Purple Haze IVAN EDITION


Located 30 miles north of Nawlins, LA; Abita makes a line of microbrews using the artesian waters of Abita Springs. Purple Haze is a very nicely flavored beer. I went through a phase where "sweet" beers like Smirnov and Zima were good to me but as my tastes have evolved I try to steer clear of beers like this. However, this one was a pleasant surprise that Merry Bighead picked up. It is a crisp, wheat beer with a slightly purple hue to it. This comes the fact that raspberry puree is added to the beer after filtration to give it a slight after taste odd color. I enjoyed this beer enough and Merry has begged enough that as soon as I have some bottles I will probable try a new recipe that incorporates the raspberry flavor just to see how I do on a post-fermented flavored beer (definitely after this semester). The raspberries provide the lager with a haze, a fruity aroma, and a tartly sweet taste. So try one the next tie you are cooped up during a hurricane. Another plus to this is that when Merry has a favorite beer, I become her favorite "bed bug". Hallelujah!!