Aug 25, 2009

Our Tastes-- DogFish Head Immort Ale

Closing in on the last DFH beer that I can run across my palate until Sam comes up with a new one is DFH's Immort Ale. Served up in a blush glass, Immort is stained cherry wood in color with a definite cloudiness is you remember to swirl the bottle. Good head retention for a beer of this abv, (11%), with an off white or cream color to it. The aroma of New England molasses, slight vanilla, heavy white oak and some touch of fruit (raisin, dark plums) and a burning to the nares of EtOH is matched only by the pyramid of taste... there's an astringency in the aftertaste (it hits me the most so I wrote it 1st), I couldn't quite put my finger on the breath out through the nose but it is definitely the peat-smoked malt, The Enabler picked up on the juniper berries, and the burning of the alcohol makes your eyes tweak. I can't imagine what the kcal count on this brew is, probably 500/bottle! There a little lattice clinging to the glass much like the film on my front teeth and the mouthfeel is full, the more you roll it around the bigger it seems to get (like a raw oyster for me).