Sep 2, 2009

Brew Batch #35 Zeus IPA

Modeled after the highly renowned (in small places) 42-A IPA and it's kin the (*) from The Wedding Series, I brewed an IPA tonight with a special ingredient. I increased fermentables 16% and at 45mins added 35gms (approx. 1oz) of my very own Mitchell Farms Zeus whole leaf hop cones!! I have no idea what the true α acid % is but the literature I've read puts it at 15-17%, so I low ball it for about 15, how's that? The starter of Thames Valley Ale yeast really helped get things going on this one. OG 1.060+ 0.001@72F. I've also started a yeast bank that I hope to have going in my garage fridge soon. Everything from a few bottles of EC Lavlin 1118 to good ole American 1056. Cross your fingers on this because one, I'm keggin it and maybe a few special bottles for TnDC homies. BTW, #20 ended tonight, this was the last batch I brewed when I was The Rocket City chapter. This is the one that made it all the way from HuntsVegas to Montgomery with The Enabler. One thing I have learned and will try to improve on, there are some beers that age very well. Overall, the wheat/wit class does not. This one had lost some love but considering a 3/9/07 brewing and 5/2/07 bottling it was still pretty good.