Jun 27, 2010

Our Tastes-- Chimay Ale (Red)

I'm currently waiting to see if a thunderstorm will blow through and keep me from cutting grass, so why not have a quick taster of Chimay "Red" Ale. Pured slightly chilled in Chimay goblet, true to the Thirsty Monk form of delivery. Pouring a particulate medium to dark mahogany with plenty of frothy white head and after making sure to suspend a rather deep yeast bed, hence the particulate part. The nose nothing extraordinary having only the hints of raisins and slight plum I have come to expect out of a Belgian. Mouthfeel is medium and after swirling around in the mouth there is a slight bitter candied taste with little alcohol and yeast that leaves behind a relatively crisp palate. 7%abv. I think it best to try a bottle as soon as you can of the self. I figure it's already GTG when it's bottled to try it fresh! Maybe there will be a different experience.