Jul 5, 2015

Making My Own Bourbon

Well Junk gifted me a sweet Wasmund barrel for Christmas and as an easy to remember date and slow down in life I chose today to start the aging process of my own bourbon. So I have this 2L oak charred barrel that I soaked in spring water  and swelled in the attic for a week to check for leaks between the boards and bands. After rotating several times, it's been filled with 750ml of Wasmund's single malt 124 proof spirit that was distilled on 9/12/14. They used 60/40 blend of applewood and cherrywood hand malted barley that's double pot distilled between 150-160 proof. I'll pull it out of the attic and place it inside for a month then rotate back up the next month until next July 4th next year or so. Around Christmas I'll pour the second 750ml in because right now the "first fill" is topped off with spring water to aid in evaporation, expansion and the Angel's share (I'm stingy). Copperfox.biz