Feb 3, 2024

2023 Mountain/Snow Balls 5K

I usually run at about 285 ft above sea level. Needless to say, I was ill prepared for this kick in the calves! The course in and of itself doesn't look bad in 2 dimensions but the starting elevation and dramatic changes in elevation robbed my lungs of life in the first mile alone. 

It was a balmy 31F at the start and didn't warm appreciably at all. And the real kicker was the hairpin on the left coming back (on the map) is an undeveloped neighborhood and that "road" is really a trail for over a mile. Great snow packed terrain for my Bowl of Brooks Launch 6 running shoes. I put this as my number one "balls" of all time, eclipsing the original hot balls that had fantastic Oktoberfest beers at the end. The altitude and cold never let me loosen up so lactic acid build up was real after this one. 44:04 and the toughest actual 5k I've ever run but would do it again.