Apr 27, 2006

Our Tastes-- Samuel Adams Winter Lager

Well, it's been a while since I've done a taster and I hope to link the to be named chapter/splinter cell of the AU chapter that Junk is heading for later tasters, but for now let's talk about Sam Adams Winter Lager. The first thing about this beer that I fell in lust with is the color, an awesome deep brown that lets my tastebuds begin the "stout mouth" transformation. It has a superb blend of cinnamon, ginger, a slight orange peel and of course the sweetness of malted barley. Now the only problem I have is where the cinnamon comes from...yep, gook cinnamon. Well let me clarify it's from Saigon which is in the south much like AL, but there's something about the whole connotation that makes me want to grab a frag. Besides that this may be my most favorite Sam beer. I was astonished to find that it's a dark wheat!! Yeah, an American dunkel!! These bad boys were initially brewed to be served warm and get you through the Winter. Thank goodness it isn't made year round.
Some characteristics: Calories 200 large/bottle, of course the bottom fermenting lager yeast, Kent Goldings, Hallertauer, Tettnang, more Tettnang, then some Tettnang, 5.8%abv, available Oct-Feb.