Sep 3, 2007

Beer and Ice Cream?

What a strange combination. That is something I would not think of going together.

While down at the beach last month as I lie baking in the sun, I was asked by the brew master if I could make some home made ice cream. So I quickly agreed without knowing what kind he wanted-- because I love Ice Cream!! So here it is Labor Day weekend and I am making Wake N Bake flavored Ice Cream. He found the recipe in the Southern Brew News. If you are not familiar with the Wake n Bake Oatmeal Imperial Stout it is a combination of the two "breweries" Terrapin and Jittery Joes (coffee). This special blend includes premium coffee beans from Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Zimbabwe. It is dark in color having a rich coffee smell with an abv of 8.5%.

This was a very simple recipe. Heavy cream, a 120z bottle of Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout, Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Egg Yolks. Heat it up and pour it in the ice cream container. Unfortunately the alcohol is burned out. Then the magic happens.

The ice cream smells just like the beer! It looks like chocolate ice cream but looks can be deceiving-- it does not taste like chocolate! I think that you have to be a fan of the Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout to like this ice cream. So grab a spoon because the ice cream is done!