Jun 26, 2009

Our Tastes-- Fat Tire 1554 Enlightened Black Ale


My last Fat Tire tasting for now is 1554 (for short). This style of beer apparently was referenced in a Belgian book dating back to 1554, hence the name after the original recipe was lost in a flood of the brewery in 1997. So the head is as flat as a flitter, and the color pushes my comfort zone in the beginning of summer with its medium dark brownness. A very distinct aroma of roasted grain (not burnt toast) but of a brewery that is steeping darker roasted grains fresh into the mashtun. Taste is a hint bitter as it clears the back of the tongue. As it lingers though charred bread does come through. I love a beer that smells one way, tastes another, then aftertastes something else. It really opens the palate. Nice how they used a light lager yeast strain with dark chocolate malt. I remember when I first got this beer, visiting Red and Junk and it was my new fav for winter when I didn't want meat-and-potatoes.