Feb 16, 2010

Our Tastes-- Capt. Sig's Deadliest Ale

A special "Our Tastes" edition, my 1st beer taster from my under construction man room. In a very sad yet pleasing way tonight I'll try a beer that Junk sent me not too long ago, Rogue's Capt. Sig's Deadliest Ale. (Note apparently there has been a name and label change, now known as Northwestern Ale on the website) Two days ago we lost Capt. Phil Harris of Deadliest Catch fame and to start my new series of Going Rogue tasters, I thought this beer was the best start. It pours a wonderful almost Alaskan King Crab red with amber hues and a frothy off-white head. It has a nice fruity slight pine nose to it. One thing I've noticed is that Rogue beers are measured in Plato which I need to brush up on. There is a slight malt at the end of the whiff. Man, the taste is extreme for a pale ale. There is a very distinct hop taste that I'm sure comes from the Horizon (also Amarillo and Cascade) used because I have never tasted this before. Pale 2-row, Munich, Carastan and Chocolate malts are also used along with the standard PacMan yeast. Dedicated to Sig, Edgar and Norman on the bottle, I've got to have this one for Phil for all of the years that he has entertained me with his wicked wit (and "smoking like a choo-choo"). Capt. Harris had a stroke in January that he was recovering from and passed suddenly. Each bottle of this beer has a portion of it's proceeds donated to the Fisherman's Fund. Discovery Channel was filming the 6th season with the Opilio season when Phil suffered a stroke on 1/29 and Derek Ray was flown in as relief skipper. I've only honored a few on this blog and this man deserves it. Catch the replay on the Opilio season this Saturday Feb. 20th: