Feb 2, 2010

Our Tastes-- Squall IPA



Last of the DFH beers I have to try until I come across others. Squall IPA pours a cloudy dark straw with ample white head. On first whiff the pungency of this IPA is incredible, The Enabler thinks I need a Claritin for my potential hop nose before I even sip. I find my jaw tightening and my salivary glands beginning to pour before I even put me (that's Irish speak) lips to the rim of the glass. Squall rolls around the mouth basin with a cold well blended full flavor. Made with "Palisade, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, CTZ, and Willamette hops" (CTZ= Columbus, Tomahawk and Zeus), this beer reminds me of something Linus would make in one of Yazoo's Hop Projects with this beer being the Triple Lindy of that. I thought I had a hoppy beer at the 1st Annual Magic City Brewfest out of his Pleasure Chest but this one takes the proverbial hopcake. There's no real discernible malt profile other than I know they had to use it to make this beer, other than that each moment, nose to gut, is filled with some sort of soft floral pine cone laden citrusy pungent high alpha acid 9%abv chest warming titillation. Buy one for friends, hide the others for yourself. I guess we can thank goodness it's not a white squall.