Oct 29, 2012

Our Tastes-- Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Trying to keep my palate up with Sam, Harvest Pumpkin Ale is a sixth of the Harvest Collection released this fall along with other Samuel Adams comrades. These styles of beers always pour such a deep ruby garnet that I enjoy the variation of color almost as much as the pumpkin bang in the taste! (Hint, I have a uncarved 10 pounder on the back porch and I'm off Friday) and I'm a pumpkin guy. Head is a creamy light tan with a nose of cereal malt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice (no allspice to note that I can tell, which tends to be a bit sweeter on both the nose and palate). The taste is awesome. I've tried a few pumpkin beers on a straight taster with The Enabler, and I think Shipyard came in 1st but I'm not sure this one was in the panel at that time. Made with two-row pale, Caramel 60, Special B and a nice Smoked malt this one will be a perennial fav of mine from now on. 5.7%abv, 199cal per long neck, 17lbs of pumpkin per barrel, East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. Think I'll finish them all.