Nov 17, 2012

Our Tastes-- Fat Jack


Another small batch series offering from Sam Adams, Fat Jack is a truly awesome pumpkin beer.  I can't remember pumpkin beers being this broadly offered, but I have drank my weight in them as the orange spring of fermented bevvy spews forth from microbrews across the nation. Damn, I think I'm turning orange from all of the beta carotene left over in my skin! The aroma, conversely of others, is of more malted grain than pumpkin or all-spice. Color is right on, and blends into the melancholy of all of the gourd-related brews I've swigged down this fall. Not complaining, just stating the truth. From what I understand Sam Adams has wanted to try brews of this kind, but not spend the money on smaller packaging and availability, hence all of these specialty beers in bombers, one at a time, with more volume dispensed and only one label with no cardboard six pack wrapper. Well, I could stand a 6er of this, the only thing stopping me is the 8.5%abv. Harvest Pumpkin is more in-line with the pie session offerings. Taste brings forth a sweet pulp to the sides of the tongue and a hint of smoked malt. I tried all season to find this and finally picked it up at an old watering hole at Mike's Handy Foodmart. Ask for Denny. Btw, 288cal/12oz, in other words, a bomber is a meal.