Jan 12, 2013

Our Tastes-- Ta Henket

DFH dug out a recipe from Pharaoh Scorpion I's tomb (ta henket) "bread beer" and when I pour it a heavy white froth comes over with a very yeasty nose. 4.5%abv. Very bland. Made with Za'atar, chamomile, Emmer Farro, Doum fruit and free range Egyptian yeast captured in petrie dishes. Not a huge beer and very light overall with a crazy light color. The beer itself was a historical collaboration and an extremely interesting read with regards to it's inception, but a beer I may only buy to use as a BMC conversion beer. I take that back, I'd probably knock out a 750ml myself. It was intriguing to be reminded of how beer came into this culture with the advent of bread beer. We weren't sure why soaked bread loafs in water made it so much more enjoyable, just that it did.