Jan 15, 2014

Now on Tap Wee Hefty

(Per Andy Mc): As excited as my four year-old on Christmas morn, I (Yard Dog Brewing Co) was ecstatic to see a huge present next to the tree, with my name on it. I ripped open the green and red wrapping paper, with total disregard for the time, effort, and craftsmanship it took to make the present look perfectly festive, and soon discovered the fruits of a secret collaboration between my wife (Troop Mom) and Frankie M. (Beat-12), a single tap kegerator. So what better way to toast the foresight of these two, than with the tapping of “Wee Hefty”. After I procrastinated with the decoration clean-up, and tree disposal, (Chipped, and mulched for all us green types), and with the help of Beat-12, fittings and hoses were secured into place. Serving pressure was set to approximately 5 Psi. then like liquid manna from heaven, out flowed my first pint of “On Tap” homebrew. The deep chestnut color emitted dark cherry hues as the light passed through. Like a thick fog rolling in over the Loch, a creamy tan head settled about a finger's width from the top of the pint glass. An aroma of mulled spices filled the nose. Upon first taste, the malty expectations did not play as forward as I would have expected. As Beat-12 so kindly suggested, “Mark the volume levels of your glass carboy to make sure the proper amount of H2O is added to have 5 gallons.” Good advice, ...check. A few more sips were taken, and a nice tartan lace formed down the glass. As the brew warmed in my hand, the spices became more present, to the point they tinged the sides of my tongue, and the 7.8% ABV was noticeable enough to give even Nessie a slight fire to her breath. Bombers will be sent to sister, and Mr. Mo (collaborative brewer), to get their beta tasting notes, and as belated Christmas gifts. But regardless, if it was giddiness from my first taste of tap beer at home, (Thanks again Troop Mom and Beat-12) this beer remained drinkable to the end of the pint, and most assuredly to the end of the keg. With more attention to detail of brewing practices and techniques, and spice additions, whether quantity or makeup, I would try this recipe again.