May 13, 2014

Big Brew in Little Milford (Mispillion River Brewing)

In all the excitement of the visit to Delaware, I surprisingly happened upon Mispillion River Brewing. A new brewery in little 'ol Milford, DE. Who would of thunk? Well I'm glad someone thunk it, cause the folks there are brewing up some noteworthy stuff. Just check the winners of the American-Belgo Ales (Category 17) at the 2014 World Beer Cup. Yep, that's their "Beach Bum Joe" Belgian Pale Ale with a Silver Medal. Impressive. Might I also try the Berliner Weisse. Oooh, a hint of fruit, followed by a nip of sour. The crisp finish evokes a white wine quality, the only difference is a bready flavor in the middle. A good choice for a light picnic on a warm summer afternoon. Now, may I have the Black Rye IPA "Big Earl". Mmm, full body, with nice pepperiness hop flavor. Oh, it also comes in a firkin version? (Completely different than that German auto thingy, but try and say that fast 3 times.) And it's aged on oak. I'm sold! The natural carbonation, and oak, smooth out the pepper like a creamy au poivre sauce. My complements to the brewer, and kudos to the folks at Mispillion River Brewing.