Nov 14, 2014

"I'm on my way"

Minus a few snafus trying to get the CO2 correct across two splitters, the jockey box worked liked a dream, and draught homebrew was enjoyed by all. Comments varied from "Awesome," and "Well Done," to "I didn't want to spit any of them out," and "A magical dream that inspires the bones to dance out of the skin and onto the ethereal plane." Okay? I'll take that as good, sooo Mission complete! Oh yeah, that whole rehearsal dinner and wedding thinga-ma-jiggy went off without a hitch too. Yea! The next day we packed up, and said sayonara to "The City That Never Sleeps." I delivered the Mrs. and Yard Dog Jr. to the airport. Then dropped Mom and Boot-Leg Chuck off at their place, and headed out on the long and winding road. Well, not before I made a few stops along the way of course. First up, DFH. Not the brewpub or brewery, just the local store to stock up. I've been there, done that, and bought a t-shirt (along with many other beers and bits of apparel). So I saved a return visit to SamLand for another time. No, next on tap was Duck Rabbit Brewery, in Farmville, NC. A bit of a drive off the beaten path of I-95, I inadvertently got turned around, and arrived at their doors 30 minutes after they had closed. But, the kind staff reopened their doors just enough to sell me a six-pack of their barleywine, and wish me on my way. Though, I wish I could have stayed and tried a few. Looked like a nice quiet, relaxful place to enjoy a few dark beers.
Since that was a short stop, and I was already out there, why not visit Mother Earth Brewing, in Kinston, NC. I sashayed into the sleepy southern town, and took a front row parking spot along the demure downtown streets. I walked in, and right away was taken back. Were those 70's style bubble chairs in the corner? I fully expected Dr. Evil to swivel around and welcome me to his lair. And the mood lighting on the bar? It seemed more reminiscent of the "Laugh-In" set than a tasting room. Sooo,"Sock it to me," I guessed, and sat down to see what they served up. The Dunkel (aka Dark Cloud) looked mighty tasty, and was I right. I sipped up the malty goodness, as I continued to visually take in the unique decorum of the tap room, when, as luck would have it, one of the owners took a stool next to me. He graciously accommodated me and all my questions about starting a brewery, and even invited me to join him and the group of runners that met at the taproom every week, for a jogging jaunt around the city. Had I dressed and hydrated more appropriately, I would have joined in, but I needed to be moving on. I purchased their Tripel to sample at home, and hit the road. It was getting late, so if I were to visit anymore breweries, I had better pick one that was close by. Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill, NC fit the bill. I cruised through the streets of the college town, and felt reminded of times long ago. The bustle of undergrads imparted in me a youthful energy, but I was quickly reminded of my aged approach when I entered the brewpub and all its packed enthusiasm. I searched through the crowd for a place to sit, and spotted one free stool over by the servers' station. Short on options, I bellied up and ordered a flight. I refueled on one of their burgers, while I analyzed their handcrafted quaffs, and as soon as the final morsel was washed down with the last sip, I paid my tab, and hightailed it back to the comfort of middle-age-ness. It was time to head home. In the solitude of the truck, I was able to reflect on the journey. What a fun trip it had been. And if starting a brewery was a in the cards, then what a long trip was to come. With miles to go before I slept, the hum of the tires provided a perfect backdrop of white noise. So I turned the radio up, channeled my inner Motley Crue, and sang the rest of the way back, "I'm on my way. Home sweet home."