Oct 14, 2015

Our Tastes-- Third Eye Pale Ale

Last of some Collbran, CO bootleg, I'm finishing up some Third Eye Pale Ale, by SteamWorks Brewing Co. Now I'll admit I was a little curious about a brewpub that recently won silver and bronze at GABF 2015. The silver was for their kolsch, a style of which I've made more this year than in the last 3 combined! I used to tell people when they wanted to "experiment" from BMC (Bud Miller Coors) that a true pale ale was represented by Sierra Nevada. That still holds true but if you want to push the envelope a little beyond what's mainstream and readily available, this is my new rarity "class" suggestion. A wonderful medium bodied dark copper with thick white head. Nose holds a good balance of malt and hop with that hop lingering ever so gently on each sip. There seems to be a bit more malt sweetness on this one rather than on SN's offering where the malt is more subtle and the hops more forward. Heck if you can find them both on the shelf, dual them up.