Dec 20, 2017

Our Tastes-- Lucille


Coming through for me once again, Junk provides a superb libation in Lucille! The scent of dark sugar and vanilla jumps all over your nose. A nice imperial stout in and of itself with a thinner body than I'd like but the hickory wood notes on this one make it truly excellent to me. Of course this is stout mouth season and I may have felt differently about it's profile during a sweltering August Hot Balls finish but this is almost perfection at 9.4% for me. I know part of the story behind this beer is the wood aging process where hickory, white ash and maple were all used (the woods from which bats are birthed plus birch and hickory fell out of favor a long time ago due to it's inherent weight). My only regret on this brew is not having a couple to age to see how well the wood aging transitions.