Jul 19, 2021

2021 Red, White & Brews



Coming out of quarantine with a brand new True beer dispensing fridge the kids have longingly named "Mista Wwyan" and only one beer on tap at the time, Dingo Took My Baby, my all Australian pale ale.  It scored meh at 31. The Non-BJCP scored me lower than the certed professional brewer but I tend to side with the Non in this instance. He picked up phenolic tones, which I am now tasting in the beer as it sits. Needless to say, I hope it was a onetime poo-poo on my brewing process where the Aussie yeast didn't kick up as quick as it should've (cause I'm brewing it again with this propped up strain) and not a gram-negative colonization. None of the grains were smoked so those couldn't be the culprit. Had to either be contamination or the yeast. Regardless, this was such a smooth comp by the Long Beach homebrewers to enter I'm already looking forward to it hopefully next year. Scores posted only a couple of hours after the awards ceremony and sheets appeared this morning. And I just commented on Untappd the other day how some brewers "can't even brew basic BJCP categories well". Someone pass me a beer for the crow I'll be eating. Only a comp of 114, so I better up my game quick.