Oct 19, 2005

Mug Club Field Trip

Tonight we took the first of hopefully many Mug Club field trips to another pub/bar/brewery. Loco’s Deli and Pub put an Oktoberfest ad in the Plainsman about $10 mugs and $5 German beers (4 offered on 3 rotating taps) so we opted to scoot away from mug club and venture into unknown waters (famous last words for Ahab). They offered Dinkelacker, Spaten, Franziskaner, and Warsteiner Dunkel on draft. Well like many new relationships this one started off with a lot of head, on my Dunkel! I don’t blame our waitress Britney but instead the hoarder of suds behind the counter. (So Brit you owe me half a pint of liquid beer). But shortly thereafter everything got on track. Merry had a Purple Haze. Junk started with a Spaten (his of course brimming so that suds runneth over) and Britney in her pink form fitting T kept them coming. Did I mention Brit is a redhead? Future TnDCer? Thank you Brit;) I digress. But discovering the draft goods included an unknown to me and my cohorts...Hoegaarden, brought smiles to everyone’s faces. We could try awesome Belgium wheat that runs $12/sixer in our newly acquired 23oz mug for only 5 bucks… so went the next mug filling. (Our Tastes posting to follow). The aroma of the yeast left a slight clover and bananas feel that was mouth-watering. I strive to do as well one day. So as I sit here tonight drinking a Red Brick Ale (thanks Junk) from ATL Brewing Company in my birthday mug (thanks Merry), I say go to Loco’s ask for Brit and push the magnesium out of your neurons to prevent memories from being written. Melonhead—just told me “cabbage juice was once used for hangovers- it contains chelators that offset acetylaldehydes….think I’ll stick to B12, ibuprofen and water before bed. Cheers, brewing tomorrow-----Steam Style, baby..Yeah baby. .