Dec 29, 2005

Olde Towne Brewing Company

On a quest to find a new place of habitation in Huntsville I decided to seek out the Olde Towne Brewing Co. (featured in Southern Brew News ...pick up a free copy at your local watering hole). Well it took a little map reading and help from my phat daddy via cell phone while he was at work (place of work not disclosed) in order to find them but it was well worth the trip. They are officially the only microbrewery in AL (defined as 15,000 barrels or less in production a year, just like a certain Sam started). Upon entering Melonhead and I were greeted by a certain older cat that when I questioned about beer availability gave us 2 Pale Ales straight off the line just before capping. Now this is how beer should be enjoyed when possible. Even Melonhead was licking her lips when greeted with a freshie. He then turned us over to a fellow War-Eagle-er who told us a little about the newly established brewery (ca 2004) and about the latest Beers Across America order of about 3000 cases of their pale ale and amber they had put out. They have a nice clean facility and he said it took 8 hours of non-stop bottling to empty their bright-fermenter (one ready to bottle and cap) in order to empty it. They have a line that runs about 50-55 or so bottles a minute with 4 guys running it (which was just the picture when we entered). By the way when I opened the door I thought there would be an open desk/secretary area but instead I walked right into the fermenting area which was a very nice touch especially when welcomed with a smile as some guy was video-taping the line. The younger cat (sorry didn’t catch any names) told me where to pick up all of their beers at a local BP but told me not to bother buying the Extra Pale Ale which I found puzzling. He said it didn’t sell well because it was more of their version of Coors, Miller, etc and the people buying their stuff wanted BEEEERRRRR. I’m sure the big boys started out this way before becoming commercialized. He said to pick up a sixer and try it but that the Pale Ale (made with 100% Cascade) and Amber were well worth it and also said they would be replacing the Extra Pale Ale with a Robust Porter due to slumping Extra Pale Ale business. As a partying gift he GAVE me ½ case of Pale and said to enjoy since it was all in the family “War Eagle”. Go by, visit, contribute and buy from this small brewing co. 214 Harmon Rd NE downtown H’ville, don’t bother calling, I tried and everyone is on the bottling line of loudness anyway, just pay 50 cent;) in parking and walk in.