Nov 20, 2008

Our Tastes-- Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 06-07

I picked this one one up in a Brooklyn sampler pack as a new try. I've never had any of the Brooklyn beers prior to having this sampler and thought this would be a good way to end the night (or make it longer). If you could imagine an oil change on an 86 Chevy step side at about 10K miles, that would be the color with a flattening brown color. The aroma on a long whiff on the breath out is HIGH alcohol. Once made for Catherine the Great exclusively, this is the closest to Reinke's that I have encountered. Made with American Two-row then bittered with Willamette and Fuggle, this year's abv is 10.6%, with 2008's being 10.1%. I'll admit I like the fact that it isn't exactly the same because these big beers sometimes don't always turn out the same due to yeast strength. Of course best with deserts and sweets, and thousands of kcals/bottle, having this brew makes me want to brew with actual chocolate or cacao. The Enabler says it seems to leave a film inside your mouth but this must come from the continually fermenting yeast. Have 2 and see what you think.