Apr 20, 2009

Our Tastes-- Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

"Torpedoes in the water.."-- The Hunt for Red October (trust me read the book!) This one was snagged for me by Junk after the ATL Cask Ale Tasting . The color is a weird color for me, a dark straw with slight red as opposed to heavy red highlights that I've grown accustomed to for most IPAs. The aroma is an unbelievable heavy floral pine with a taste that matches. Head is flattening wit little lattice, which is odd because with all of the hops in it you would think this damn thing would grab the side of the glass like cobwebs. The taste is FULL with a pungency that crawls across the palate and clings to the teeth in a coat. Torpedo is made with 2-row, Carapils and Crystal. I have noticed that the most memorable IPAs have these grains in common. Bittering hops are Magnum, finishing with Magnum and Crystal then dry-hopping with Magnum, Crystal and Citra. I wonder if the continuity of the same hops gave the smooth aroma and flavor. 7.2%abv, 70 IBUs seem larger than that. I'll be burping this beer for a few more hours fo' sho'.