Aug 23, 2012

Our Tastes-- Rustic Saison

Keeping up with Jim, I sample Rustic Saison from Sam Adams. About the only brew I've tried of this kind that made an impression has been Yazoo's Saison, possibly because it was the first (man I love linking to me, that's when I know I'm creeping up on Avogadro's number of brews sampled) of this style that I remember from label to palate. Pouring a very translucent yella, with light froth head. This is a very interesting non-French brew. Some saisons have a distinctive sourness (or ester) to them as this one does, but it also has a slight honey profile to it. Made with heather honey, Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, wheat, and Bohemian pils malt and hopped with Hersbrucker and Tettnang Noble hops this is nice 4.4%abv BELGIAN brew. This was a great marketing ploy to pull people into microbrews by SA. For the summer pack we're given 2 great non (yet closely palate related with regards to lightness) BMC (Bud Miller Coors) brews with some great history and just enough pull on the palate to bring someone into different types of beers/homebrewing.