Nov 21, 2013

Our Tastes-- Deschutes Black Butte Porter

 
The final beer of my primary elk hunting season. Deschutes offered up Black Butte (or as my wife would say "butt" but why's it spelled funny, yeah it owned me too) Porter. An abysmal brown with oddly bright white/tan heads. Nose may be diminished due to time but lattice seems to be in tact. The mouthfeel is full and bangs of subtle sweet roast coffee. No hop mention on the profile other than what has been put in to balance the malt bill. I couldn't find a great graphic, so I just didn't put one up! Made with Pale, Carapils, Chocolate, Crystal, Wheat malts and Cascade, Bravo and Tettnang hops, I didn't realize this was Deschutes flagship beer. Deschutes grabbed my attention in 2010 at GABF because they had introduced the "first" Cascadian Dark Ale which sparked much debate on which brewery had actually been making a beer of this distinction but GABF had only recognized for the first time this year (2010). Hey, maybe Andy Mc. could get his GABF certification, he has a decisive palate. Then vote for me:) blah!