Dec 28, 2013

2013 Bro-in-Law Pub Crawl

Well this afternoon, I pitched in and did what any good brother-in-law would do, I became the scapegoat for a great afternoon. In turn, my bro-in-law took me to several places that even though I lived in HuntsVegas several years ago had never been to or were even open. It all started at Below the Radar BrewHouse. Now boarding, seats and tray tables in their full and upright position, this was our flight:

From right to left: Triple Dog Dare Belgian Tripel, Bad Moon Rye-Sing, Cryptic DIPA, and Black Ops Black IPA. The Triple Dog Dare Tripel had a heavy yeasty, clove imbalance and bitterness I'm not used to in a tripel. No head even on initial pour, but a smooth 9.4% abv. No need to mention color on these, unless you're Ray Charles.
Bad Moon Rye-Sing rye IPA had a good pepperiness in there. Both beers had great lattice so far. Great Big C hop nose compliments the malt backbone with a Bourbonesque color. 7.0% abv.
Cryptic DIPA had an off orange color that threw me off. I thought the nose would shut down the nares but alas it did not. After the first sip, I take it back. Pass the Sudafeds. 9.0% abv. Good crushing hop blend on this one.
Black Ops black IPA. 7.5%abv and though the picture doesn't do it justice, it's light black. Yeah it's possible, then again this was only a four ounce pour. Light citrus hop nose with coffee bean roast and a surprising slight sweetness, yielding forth a Big C hoppy boldness as well. May be my favorite. My B-I-L also took in some RedStone Mead while we were there, because the abv on this light stuff wasn't enough to start the fire. Tab paid, moving on. Next stop, The Nook.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking... who's car is that? But this place was phenom! Of the entire crawl, I could have stayed right here because truly looks were deceiving (and it was raining and cold and kinda crappy bowl games were on). The Nook stashes 450 bottles, 50 taps and 46 large bottles (22 bombers or bigger) at their location and they have a license to sell on site! I can't paint you a picture, you'll have to visit on your own, but the outdoor sitting is quaint and as small or large as you want to make it.  Renovations are being done, but the existing deck, porch, tables, overhang and greenery, I'd put up against any tasting house. The tables are all cast iron so the overhead heating lamps (yeah like at McD's and propane heaters warm them to give off heat). I started out by having The Brew Stooges Mo' Better Bitter ESB. Tea like in color great white head. Balanced excellent hop profile with a nice lingering bitterness at 3.6% abv. This is the kind of session beer you can have all day. Amstel Light if memory serves is a 4.2% to give you an idea.

Next, was Yellow Hammer Dark Hammer Quad. No head on this one but a great white foam ring left to lattice.  The clear dark brownness and full mouthfeel matched well with the nose of heavy raisin and taste of dark fleshy plum. Can you say, dark Belgian candi? 10.3% and the the tongue smacks of cloying sugar.
(Infrared wall mounted and glass tube commercial propane heaters like the one in the background can be purchased here). Then to finish the sippage I tried my BIL's JW Lee's Harvest Ale matured in port casks 2005. Didn't want it to go bad and don't let the particulate bother you, it's got vitamins in it.
And the final stop was Wish-You-Were-Beer. For a hole in the wall, this place sported taps galore and the prices weren't that bad. In a strip mall, located next to several fast food places that just happen to walk-down deliver to the cigar smoke room right next door. I filled up my first half growlers of Founder's Imperial Stout and Blue Pants Pinstripe Stout. Let you know how they turn out later!
But the most memorable part of the crawl was the outdoor john at The Nook. A balmy