Dec 4, 2013

Our Tastes-- Samuel Adams Juniper IPA

Trying to keep up with all of Jim's concoctions and small batch tasters, I'm pouring up Juniper IPA. A beautiful dark straw honey-like color with an effervescent thick off-white head. Nose is a subtle light hop but nothing to write home about. Made with two-row and honey malt, then hopped with Columbus (aka Tomahawk) and Ahtanum, this is a great beer. BUT, I was looking for a definitive juniper berry somewhere! I'm disappointed. Now, I'm going to find some good juniper berries somewhere and profile them, but as of right now other than a more piney, resinous feeling to the beer, this is just a holiday ploy. I rank it right up there with the availability of Utopias 10th anniversary. 5.8%abv, hoppy for sure, but just call it "I needed a beer to fill my winter sampler IPA", I would have felt better about the label. Give me some back story on the chick picking in the background and I would have felt better. I guess the medicinal benefits and voodoo of the "berry" should be enough.