Nov 22, 2015

Our Tastes-- DB Schwartz Bier

I've hammered away at Reinke's inventories this month both kegged and bottles and as I bottled/kegged Gman, I had to sip something differently dark . Schwartz Bier by Devil's Backbone poured up a head and nose of attention getting roasted cereal. I'm pretty sure my mouth watered like some mad Labrador. The taste on this brew was complex and smooth, perhaps the smoothest schwartz I've had. The body was medium and dangerously quaffable, I put it right up there with Jack the Quaffer porter. I've noticed DB's malt bills tend to be a little more complex than other breweries, but then again their medal tally is as well. This one touts Carafa 2, Dark Munich, Melanoidin, Cara-Red and Pilsner malts, then hopped with Northern Brewer and Saaz. I'm not sure which malt lends the hint of sweetness, but it balances great with the Dark Munich and pilsner to give a fantastic slightly sugary roast. At 5.1% this is a great dark winter brew. Coincidentally, DB i snow available in NashVegas. Gotta find me a beer mule up there;)