May 25, 2016

American Craft Beer Week (was last week!)

(and this was my initial entry until the week blew by me!) Let's all set a goal to have a craft of our choosing each day this week. The Brewer's Association celebrates Craft Beer Week each year around the 3rd week in May. So my first taster this week will be a score by Junk's fiancĂ©e (to call her Junkette or Wee Nay Nay is still to be decided for blogging purposes) KBS. Somewhat of a rarity between Happy Endings and AleSmith Speedway Stout (I went with beers of the same style, one of which I have had and am currently cellaring plenty and the other only once). 
Poured into a goblet with an opacity matched only by an overdue oil change. The tan head was a given but the nose was multifaceted with bourbon, oak, EtOH, vanilla and thick syrup. Taste of this 12.4%abv cave-aged beast is chocolate coffee heavy and a strong out breath of warm alcohol. As I give it thought the nose matches that of vanilla wafers dipped in bourbon heavy vanilla pudding. It's the smoothness o the smell that gives you false hope of having 2 of these. Mouthfeel is full to say the least. To be able to have one of these is a life moment that should be savored each year IF you can get your hands on it. My is of a quiet house and my first run since the twins.