Mar 13, 2017

Ten Days of Darkness

How about another orphan brewery, Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast . A deep black offering covered in at least 3 fingers of tan head. Beer Geek is an oatmeal stout brewed with coffee, emphasis on coffee. Aroma fakes you out a bit in that there is just enough sweetness to make you believe that's what you'll taste, but in fact any sweetness quickly dissipates to a HEAVY coffee (heaviest I've been able to recall in a while). I also think this beer may have been brewed without hops, because I discern "zero" in the profile as soon as the coffee kicks in, which is midway through the swallow and then a sticky continually resounding coffee. Did I mention the coffee I pick up almost throughout? 7.5% and a suggested name change descriptor...COFFEE stout brewed with oatmeal?