Jun 19, 2018

2018 Semi-Annual Beach Balls 5K

The Beach Balls 5K is not only an endurance race usually done in only the heat of the day (in of course a salty humidity laden environment) but also an Our Tastes event. So each time my brood visits sea level I find a local trail and some local brew to enjoy, one after the other. This year I ran part of the Hugh S Branyon Back Country Trail, specifically the CatMan road. I think I saw Cat-Man but at mile 3.5 a little dehydration kicks in and I was thankful to just make it back to the trailhead! Scenery was bland until 1.5 miles in when I reached the Pavilion kept up by the local garden club and the Boulder Chair park (think boulders 2 stories tall chair shaped, naturally. I have no idea how they got them in there and if you want to reach the part you sit in you better be ready to climb a little) followed by my turning point at Little Lake at mile 2.1. I don't think the scale on the map is correct because my Garmin can't be that off! I can say one thing for certain, at the end of this 4.2 mile trek, I've never had a better gose than Trim Tab's Margarita Gose. I'm new to this style but it's growing on me like the Berliner category. The lime and salt could not have satiated better, but then again these guys won the only medal in the state at last year's GABF.