Sep 18, 2019

Brew Batch #131 KeeWeePee

I felt utterly compelled to revisit this recipe after reading it's scoring sheets. For my first attempt at the style it garnered some of the highest scores (other than Orange Creamsicle) right out of the gate even winning 1st in a 400+ comp. Then it got "homered" in Malt Madness XIII by 2 other local PRX5 entries only to get a 36 in the next comp. So IF BJCP's goal in scoring is to be consistent across the board why the notes about detracting green apple (acetaldehyde) if I'm using Nelson Sauvin. I understand the ones about oxidation sweetness which can be caused at the time of bottling and certainly doesn't help if scoring is to be done weeks later (Junk drink'em ASAP) but the 36 in the next comp when my bottling is the same way is perplexing. So, to take care of the acetaldehyde comments since this was pitched lower in yeast count, I just threw it on about 2 quarts of Czech Pils yeast that should have it done in 5 days! OG 1.048+0.000@72F, which means I overshot my BE this time using the overnight mash. So hopefully the mega yeast pitch won't push me right back to 6.5% like last time. I was trying to come down on the abv.