Oct 26, 2019

2019 Old Forge Big Beer and Odd Ale

The adage, "You get what you pay for" fits this comp like a round peg. A BJCP 2015 guidelines comp that needed only delivery to certain addresses per the AHA website to be considered for qualified judging. Email the competition director and let them know if there is anything BIG or ODD about your ale to be put in those categories. I entered Sgt Poo (aka War Dank Eagle's Daddy) and Elvis Snacks. The "awards" were to be up sometime on 10/6 at least ($50, $25 +/- some plaques), but I had to email the comp director to yield a non-public Facebook page. Keep in mind this comp was limited to 50 entries only; however, there were only 20 participants, judges(4) and stewards. Score sheets finally arrived ten days later and had been filled out by drunken first graders with pencils who's stewards (if there were any) inverted my labels upon presenting them to the judges so that they were looking for dank in Elvis and banana, PB and cacao in my NEIPA? John, my national judge, even noted the chocolate in my porter and Ken took the time to write, "Is there actually peanut butter and cocoa in this" at the top of my NEIPA score sheet. So ultimately you spend money to send beer to Ken and Millie Carman for them to sit around like Good'ens and drink/score your beer "with Trolls" as the note said inside the received packet. What a monstrous waste of time and why would the AHA allow comp like this to be posted on their website? I should have known when I was told one of the shipping addresses sometimes didn't know what was going on with regards to receiving of the entries that I should have bailed. Should have sent them to Hans or 32nd So Cal competition where they can actually sort and manage a 6 pack of entries. And hell no, nothing's been posted yet!