Jun 7, 2008

Hop Garden

We plant more hops by 10am than most people do in a year! Announcing the 1st annual TnDC Hop Garden! Started with Zeus and Centennial, this year is destined to be green. Some people plant a tree by giving back, I plant humulus lupulus, with a 13-17% alpha acid (max 20% at harvest) hop vine. The Enabler and I turned earth, used idiot sticks and constructed a fence that Growler can't get through! After letting a recent purchase from Freshops cultivate in some pots, we transferred the budding vines to the ground and sat back. The dewpoint had to be about 70 this morning (meaning we were planting on the friggin' equator, a couple of beers cooled us though)! But I am confident that we will have at least 120 sunny days for these rhizomes to get a good root system going and allow for a nice harvest next year. My only problem is how I am going to transplant these bad boys when I move. Dave at Freshops was kind enough to allow us to replace a Sunbeam, but the ones we have are coming up nicely. I want to make sure the next time the Google imagery satellite passes over that it captures the compound giving back to the hop harvest!