Dec 21, 2008

Our Tastes-- Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale

Well the Winter Solstice took place this morning at 604am CST to Mark the longest night, on top of that it will soon drop to about 24F in my little part of the world. So now that summer is definitely gone and we're about to have a few "3 dog nights" in a row, I'm going to start tasting all the Dogfish Head that I can get my hands on including some great brew from this weekend, Junk coon-dogged me out. BTW- Australian aborigines used to sleep next to their dogs on cold nights to survive, the coldest ones were termed ---you guessed it 3 Dog Nights. This was DFH's original brew and in my opinion is the type of beer that can be used as a BMC conversion tool. It pours a dark clear straw with wonderful macro and micro bubbles. Lattice is there but not VERY distinguishable. The head is a separated foam that is easily replenished upon swirl. Taste is great, an easy 6er. What gets me with this little 168kcal brew are the hop additions. Either this is proof of the hop shortage substitutions that had to be made to keep beer alive and well or a running change by Sam that wasn't fixed on the website. Shelter Pale Ale is made with "whole leaf Glacier and Warrior hops", but the bottle label I have which for me is an instant collectible says Willamette and Columbus (aka Tomahawk to some). The alphas are comparable and substitutable with Willamette/Glacier but since Warrior is relatively new Hop Union considers it a questionable sub, just fyi. I really like the idea of Delaware grown barley. 5%abv sold only in Mid-Atlantic states, sorry Nebraska:(