Feb 20, 2009

Our Tastes-- Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra

Keeping in mind I just had D'Etre, D'Extra is posted to be a doubling if you will of its predecessor. Not real sure where the label comes from but I'll research for personal gratification. Looks like Hank Sr. It pours several shades darker than Etre and cloudy as well. What head was here initially in my porter glass has long gone in the time it has taken me to type this. Aroma is still the raisin with slight smoky hints then the taste...the "doubling" of everything explodes in your mouth like TNT (trinitrotoluene, I gave this word to win Hangman when I was 5 at Happy Time Kiddie Land, my childcare place). These 2 beers are great vertical beers to try for both a novice and brewmaster. All the elements are there but so different in concentration. I'll have to remember this taster for differences in imperials for instance or "extreme" beers (pale ale vs IPA). From what I have read this is the same but pumped as D'Etre but more raisins (a great sugar and fruit contributor). 18+%abv, 425kcal/12oz. This stuff leaves your ears warm and head queasy after half a glass!! Well worth it. I sense not so much beer that's created but life experiences by Sam C. at DFH. I swear this stuff leaves a thick sugary coat on your tongue.