May 31, 2009

Back from "The Big Island"

So I'm back and heavier one more member (and a permanent one at that) for the Woodland Creek chapter. I'm sitting here enjoying a Cohiba and Sam Adams 2005 Chocolate Bock with my new wife and I'll have to admit it's, OK. Only problem is that I had to do laundry and the lawn before I got to this point, which is fine if the beer and stogies are going to be this good. On last Wednesday I got to try Mehana Volcano Red Ale. All of Mehana Brewing Company's beers are labeled on-island and distributed there. Much like Kona's beers, they use fresh naturally filtered water that started out as rainwater and traveled down 30 miles of black volcanic stone (puna). Overall, the beer was okay, it was free at the time, but mainland beers really don't have anything to worry about.