May 1, 2009

Our Tastes-- Penn Weizen

Made by Pittsburgh's 1st microbrewery, Penn Weizen is a nice exchange on the palate of a weizen beer. Pennsylvania Brewing company opened it's vats in 1986 and recently celebrated its 20th year. Penn Weizen is one in a line of many truly brewed German-style beers offered by this brewery. This beer is another great example of why you should strive to use the "correct" glass for the beer. Since starting the DFH line of beers, we have attempted to use the right container and this one had added pleasure when tasting. Pouring a M-I-crooked letter crooked letter-I-crooked letter crooked letter-I-humpback humpback-I (wasn't that fun) silt if you will of cloudiness with a frothy quickly dissipating head. The aroma has a nice banana clove waft to it with a hint of the Bavarian yeast. The taste is no Hoegaarden, but does in a pinch, it's a little heavy on the yeast profile for me. Made with 2-row, wheat and barley malts and Hallertau hops. 4%abv.