Jan 19, 2010

Our Tastes-- Avery Hog Heaven

Though my palate has turned dark, I still have 2 new "dogs" to try (see previous posts) and yet tonight starting 5 well-deserved days off, I try QQWW (my kegged wheat wine) and want a little slice of flying bacon..Hog Heaven Barleywine-Style-Ale. Pouring this first into my handy 3oz snifters, I notice a cloudy light-med brown bev. I've experiences with beers that settle lately and this brew I inverted gently a few times prior to pouring to get an even mix of bed through every glass (because I'll be having it all). The nose is a pungent C, not sure which one but there is something about the "C" hops that you'll always notice (Centennial, Cascade, Chinook). The head immediately flattens and after looking at the label I can see why, 9.2%abv and 2.5lbs of Columbus hops per barrel, haven't tasted it yet but there must be a load of malt in this one, hold on, still have it rolling around in my mouth as the bitterness hits first AND remains well after swallowed. I find little else in this beer other than the overwhelming hop, the caramel and Crystal 75L are trace tasted at initial tongue contact and washed away by the astringency of the hops. I guess I should get away from the mold on some beers but this one simply doesn't have the malt backbone I enjoy in a "typical" barleywine.