Mar 3, 2013

Against the Grain- Ludicrously Terse

A couple of weeks ago I was treated to a new brewery in Louisville, KY by my sister and brother-in-law called Against the Grain. Without being able to decide on just one brew I tried a flight plus the bonus beer and this may be the best flight of beers I've ever had! The beers as you can see on their website are broken down into main types of beers, the name of the beer and the specs on it. This is also easily viewed on the huge chalkboard menu that hangs in the dining area. First up, Ludicrously Terse their session beer (at the time) an ESB of 4.6%abv. Color of tea with very nice mild bitterness and an excellent example of the style. Apparently my mom-in-law liked it above all others but has not given up her stance on wheats/wits at this point. Odd grain bill with the use of Maris Otter barley malt, melanoidin (I had to look this one up), honey and victory malts. Bittered with New Zealand Pacific Gem and and late addition of Czech Saaz. Fermented with a London ale yeast for balanced mineral and fruity notes.