Oct 13, 2009

Our Tastes-- Ménage à Frog

Made by Issaquah Brewery (aka Rogue), Ménage à Frog was my 1st Belgian Style Tripel Ale encounter. I first had this in Charlotte, NC at The Flying Saucer, shortly after being heimliched so I wasn't sure if I was high on the brew or just being heimliched, again. The really wow factor for me was the wax covered crowned cork 750ml bottle. I mean just getting into this thing was an Indiana Jones hunt. I stopped to smell the cork, not knowing it was ever served this way at FS and it smelled like fine chenin blanc wine, I thought I needed cantaloupe or passion fruit with just the cork aroma alone! On a side note I put this in the fridge for my buddy Jim, who is slowly becoming a BMC convert/homebrewer, but is having his ticker looked at tonight, so he would want me to have this without him I'm sure. He has however picked the Belgian "line" of beers as his current favorite, due most in part to The Satin Hammer Jamie made, I'll discuss later this weekend (I hope). It pours a pure liquid gold color with marshmellow creamy head that dissipates to near skimming flatness in my tulip glass. The bubbles caress the glass in champagne-like fashion. This beer is why I tried my hand at BTs. It has a nose of slight fresh cut white oak (won't cut it for you find your own damn tree) married with white grapes. Mouthfeel is full with a definite tart but not bitter to it. I bought these bottles over 2 years ago before I even got serious into dating my wife and for them to have this kind of earthy spice and longevity is awesome and why I bought her a bottle while I was at it...damn, may have just drank her bottle? Aftertaste is nice as well, definite pear/green apple fell to it. Made with Pilsner malt, Saaz hops and Abbey yeast, it's my tarty fruity favorite. 9%abv. I'll admit after a full "lupper" earlier, I find it hard to feel my fingertips after 2 of these, man did my liver just retro back to high school?