Aug 11, 2006

Our Tastes-- BBC American Pale Ale


Now it's no suprise to many that I am flying completely solo in my brewing endeavors. Alas, sweet Melonhead thought we were on different paths and broke from the chapter of "us" sometime ago. However, one of her many redeeming qualities as a "keeper" was knowing when in a different state find me some local brew. So last fall or so when she was visiting her sister and bro-in-law (Brian- co-founder of the Montgomery "Superchapter") in Louisville, KY. she insisted on finding some good local brew. Now Brian and I have butted heads, but in an earnest attempt to fulfill at least Melonhead's desires for me, he took her to a place that sold all 3 of the mainline brews produced by Bluegrass Brewing Company. So before they go out of date, I tried the American Pale Ale. I am having this beer cold in a room temp glass pint and I'll admit, I have fallen back in lust with the American Pale Ale types of beer. It has a hop aroma like the usual APA and wonderful hoppy bite, probably made with Centennial or Cascade. The head was thin and left very little in the way of foam legs. Overall, probably one of the best I've had, but that's always the case when the brewery is 281mi. away. I don't have any abv or other characteristics because they donn't list them on the site, but comparable brews are SweetWater 420 Pale Ale, Anchor Liberty Ale, Olde Towne (my local micro) and of course Sierra Nevada. Maybe I'll try a taste-off later on with the remaining few that I have.