Aug 30, 2006

Our Tastes-- Samuel Adams Ginger Honey Ale

Part of the Brewer Patriot Collection, specifically "batch" #1. It's made with ginger, lemon and wildflower honey, which I can appreciate the complexity of, BUT I am just glad that it is cold and there are only 4 more left for me to drink, then the rest of my life. Tastes just like a menthol Halls cough drop (but liquid). The aroma is just like the taste, no shocker there! This had to be the Miller Lite of the colonial days, but then again they used to ferment cacti in order to make grogg, blecchhh:( It has a bright golden color and little head, looks a lot like you know what. It has great foam legs but man, I am doing my best right now to choke it down, hope they didn't make a lot of this. 5.5%abv which is a redeeming quality. Thomas Jefferson's wife apparently helped him brew 15C of this stuff every 2 weeks for personal consumption (she's a keeper). Food pairings are sweet and spicy stuff like Chinese spareribs. 0 and 2 Jim.