Aug 4, 2006

Our Tastes-- RedHook Late Harvest Autumn Ale


RedHook has been around since 1982 and has 2 breweries, one on each coast (pretty smart if you ask me), one in Portsmouth, NH and the other in Woodinville, WA. This isn't the first time I have had a RedHook brew, but I wanted to start blogging the beers that I am trying since I brought all of my brew kits to the Rocket City last week and forgot all the damn ingredients in Montgomery!! This is also an old label, but the only one I could find on the internet! I truly bought this at my favortie BP 5pts gas station because the new label and six pack has a damn hoot owl on the front of it. It's like he was gazing at me saying, "Take me to a good beer-loving home, I am a seasonal beer that can be coated in metal, travel with you as you ride Pegasus to kill Medusa and help destroy the Cracken before he devours Andromeda". Anyway, I'll try to get some pics posted of some of these labels. But on to the beer. There's no official designation from RedHook on this one, but I'm thinking Marzen (available from 1st of Aug-Oct). It's definitely not a pumpkin ale. It has the usual marzen aroma and color, like I said I bought it because of the damn hoot owl!! Made with Crystal malt, German Smoked Munich, Caramel and Roasted malts as well. It's only been brewed since fall 2005 and is an East Coast brew only! Sweet, finally something in Bama the rest of the US can't get!
Some characteristics: Chestnut in color, 32 IBUs, 190cal/12oz bottle (which means more to me now that I am doing NSS (nutrional services) and 5.7%abv.
* 2315hrs-- I drank all 6, so it's safe;) and lined the bottles up against my balcony to keep away pigeons and eat field mice;(