Jun 20, 2017

Our Tastes-- Beer for Breakfast

A fine pre-sellout brew! Beer for Breakfast is a great DFH 7.4% heavily lactose laden stout. Color is good and dark with a slight powdered sugar nose. Full mouthfeel and the smoked coffee taste that comes through is by far the best part to this brew for me! The layers of ingredients in this beer are truly phenomenal. "2-row Applewood Smoked Barley, Kiln Coffee, Flaked Oats, Roasted Barley, Caramel Malt ... Molasses, Milk Sugars (lactose), Brown Sugar, Roasted Chicory" are all listed as active players in the brewing bill. Then there's scrapple, I could have gone the rest of my life without having this knowledge. It's as though my palate walked through a scene from Seven with curtains around it, only to have them snatched down at the last sip as I endeavored to understand this "scrapple" term. My mind drifts to a pint of high abv stout with pancakes and bacon dipped within it only to irreversibly remember how hot dogs are made. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.