Jan 9, 2009

Our Tastes-- BlackStone Maris Otter

I saved this brew for a little celebration, but alas "Poor Yorick, I knew him well" (Act 5 Scene 1: Hamlet). Red (denoted here in pink) tapped off some fresh for me before it even hit the brite (I think). A wonderful slightly cloudy dark straw with a subtle hop aroma. Taste is still beyond description. I first had this type of beer last February and was instantly hooked. If I had to choose a favorite type of brew this would absolutely be it! I will say however that last years batch seemed to be a bit more malt, which this time of year I prefer. The hoppiness is more than I expected based off of last years recipe, and there may not be a change, but more of a palate shift on my part. No info is listed on the BS website and I was just slathering to have some. Travis and Red (denoted here again in pink) have outdone themselves on this one. The usual recipe includes 2-row malt crossed between Proctor and Pioneer malts by Dr G D H Bell in 1966 in Cambridge. Brew on ye lads of labial smacking goodness!