Jan 26, 2009

Our Tastes-- Dogfish Head Fort

I had forgotten that I tried this beer and had to take good notes over Christmas. One word describes this beer, TWANG! It's the feeling you would have if you could pluck a banjo string behind your eyeball. DFH's Fort pours a cloudy medium brown while I used my newly bought short tulip glass. Initially this beer had almost a yellow head to it with an aroma that literally made my whole mouth tickle. Aroma for this one was overwhelmingly phenolic. If a newbie convert from BMC needs a beer that gives a great nose definition of phenol in beer this may be a good example. Keith nailed it when he said that the taste "smacks you around a bit", I agree. The attack on the sour/bitter tastebuds makes you almost shudder even after have a few. I wonder if Brettanomyces was used in the fermentation of this one? Made with over a ton of pureed raspberries and 415kcal/12oz, this one will be memorable. BTW Tara McPherson makes all of the wild artwork. Merry's poor dad decided he would try this one with us, guess we won't be tasting with him again any time soon.