Jan 22, 2009

Our Tastes-- Coney Island Sword Swallower


Sword Swallower Steel Hop Lager is a brew The Enabler and I picked up on our last trip to Peach Tree City. According to the label it is a "spectacle" of 8 hops and 4 luscious malts. Apart from that there is a stunning blond in a titillating red dress that has a steel shank down her throat? Phallic much? Pouring one of the clearest lager profiles I've seen, so much so I could see my fingerprints on the glass I had just wiped down. Head is nothing to remark on. Nose is no hops to notice and has the "standard" lager smell to it. This is a surprisingly bitter beer. (maybe they should have used 5 malts). Made with Specialty 2-row, rye (which is what smacks the side of the tongue), Canadian wheat malt, along with Warrior, Northern Brewer, Palisade, Crystal, Fuggle, US Golding and Cascade then dry-hopped with Cascade, Crystal and Amarillo. 6.8%abv, makes it a super buy, I'd swill it around again.
BTW, each purchase goes toward go toward Coney Island USA a non-prof for the lost American arts, much like brewing great beer.