Oct 31, 2008

Our Tastes-- Weyerbacher Belgian Style Golden Ale

In much the Mitchell fashion in the 11th hour and last few minutes I taste, Merry Monks' (aka Belgian Style Golden Ale) by Weyerbacher. I have accumulated many of the Weyer styles of beer recently and all of them relatively high gravity. This one seems fitting as I close a Halloween at Merry's outpost. At first glance with this being a 9.3%abv liquid, I expected a flat head head but this one pour a relatively large white head and quickly dissipates to the usual. The aroma is bland and nondescript with a cloudy color (like wet straw, as I watch Man vs. Wild, for Bear Grylls everything is a simile). Truly a bottle conditioned beer this one has added sugar and yeast which explains the intriguing gook that has rested to one side. Taste explodes in your mouth with bananas and clove with this Trippel. Made with Pilsner malts and Belgian yeast strains my mouth is alive with multiple dimensions. Wow this one is really a great beer to start this line with.